It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:42 am 

Paul Savage speaks Easy wrote:
He still does gigs, but he somehow makes money from sitting at home and yelling into a webcam.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coughlan666#p/a

Not anymore - I just clicked the link...Oh dear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am 

Jake_E wrote:
Paul Savage speaks Easy wrote:
He still does gigs, but he somehow makes money from sitting at home and yelling into a webcam.

http://www.youtube.com/user/coughlan666#p/a

Not anymore - I just clicked the link...Oh dear.

"coughlan666 has been terminated because we received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted."

Crikey, terminated! Youtube really don't mess around do they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 pm 

Hi folks

Dick Coughlan was targetted by Youtube trolls (who are not keen on his fervent atheism) he lost his coughlan666 account due to bogus DMCA copyright claims and re-established himself as coughlan616

I've done a couple of beginners stand-up courses and a more advanced Writing for stand up course, all in London, I also canvassed opinions about other courses and wrote a pretty comprehensive blog on the subject

Hope you find it helpful

http://sean-ruttledge.blogspot.com/2012 ... -good.html

Cheers

Post subject: From the coal face ...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:28 pm 

I just went on a weekend course. I went knowing I was funny in select company but wondering if maybe I was like an x-factor wannabe thinking I was fab on no firm evidence at all. Oh, and I'm lazy, and rich, so paying was an easy route in (anyone in love with my online persona yet? I can't wait ...)

So, feedback from the recent coal face. I think everyone arrived thinking they were funny. I don't think anyone thought they'd learn to be funny on the course, and the ones that weren't funny to start with didn't leave funny.

We did learn that an amusing dinner table anecdote is not the same as a 5 minute set and that 2 minutes is too long for your first laugh - which I think is a genuine shock if you havent been on stage before. I personally learnt that I am better at banter and off the cuff remarks than writing material, which is a shame in the absence of a bunch of would-be comics in my living room. I could have definitely have learnt this 'live' but with lots more personal humiliation.

I didn't die when we did our open mic, but neither did I come off thinking I was fabulous and nor was I. So if I want to do this I need to get my arse into gear and put some hours in. And sort out how to write material. As previously remarked ad nauseum in 2004. No major surprises there then.

So, the course was fun, I can see it could be addictive, I don't think its something you have to do and I think it probably isn't worth a huge financial investment in terms of starting a career.

There, and I think my punctuation was ok too ....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:02 am 

A agree that many are dubious (Jago did mine, took the idea and cloned it). I have had many famous 'clients' through my courses including Katherine Tate Gina Yashere, Marc Lucero, Joe Wilkinson, Dan Renton Skinner and many more. There is a rule of thirds - a third can do it (as listed) and they were already doing it when they came to me. A third can be taught - they have aptitude and some skill but need to know more about the techniques and how to hone their writing/persona/approach and marketing tips. For them a teacher can be very useful. They will, of course, ultimately learn it on the circuit, but a strong course is a good incentive. The last third are hobbyists (nothing wrong with that) Egotists (hmm) Time wasters and loonies. Creative courses always draw them in.

If you take a course you need to know that the tutor has done it, is doing it and knows his or her shit. I no longer teach Stand up, but I recommend Logan Murray, Jill Edwards, Sally Holloway and Rob Hitchmough, all of whom know what they are talking about.

Ultimately yes, it is a job (and it IS a job, not a career unless you are very lucky, talented or well connected) and you learn by doing, but it takes ten years to be any good.

www.writingsitcom.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:07 pm 

marcblake wrote:
> The last third are
> hobbyists (nothing wrong with that) Egotists (hmm) Time wasters and
> loonies. Creative courses always draw them in.

"Keep, modern pros, your storied pomp!" cries me
and the Pear Shaped. "Give me your hobbyists, your Egotists,
Your Time wasters yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the loonies, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15