It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:58 pm 

Quote:
"and now we have a special treat for you, our next act is a... woman".

Personally, I prefer to be introduced as a "lady comedienne". Or, my favourite introduction ever: "Now we have a lady comedienne. If we're lucky, maybe she'll get her tits out." Which completely ruined the element of surprise in my act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:06 pm 

ive got my second compering gig this week, man I am shittin myself. There is 3 good acts on and I am shitsin it man..

Just thought I would let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:25 pm 

Omydaize wrote:
ive got my second compering gig this week, man I am shittin myself. There is 3 good acts on and I am shitsin it man..

Just thought I would let you know.

If you have 3 good acts then really and truly you have relatively little to worry about.

Just keep the audience focussed and happy, do a couple of gags, explain how the evening is going to run, mention any rules (turning off mobiles etc) and then bring on the acts, just remember not to overstay your welcome, simple as (yeah right!)!

:lol:

Check out my jokes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:28 pm 

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:39 pm 

Oh forgot to mention, have a bit of a chat with the audience, try to find out where people are from and if there are any "characters", this helps the other acts and can provide you with some laughs.

Don't feel pressured to try to say something funny in response to EVERY answer you get, just try to be friendly and generate a nice relaxed atmosphere, obviously if you can be funny that helps too.

Most importantly enjoy yourself, if you are relaxed and enjoying yourself then that will transmit to the audience.

Check out my jokes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:43 pm 

The trick to being a good compere OmyD is to follow these basic rules..

1) Remember that the audience are there for the acts first, you don't have to be the best thing on the night.
2) The audience only have to "like" you, they don't have to find you hilarious, if they take a disliking to you then they will dread you coming back onstage.
3) If the acts are doing really well then you don't have to try to keep the energy going, it does it itself. The only times you need to really get them going are the openings off the sections.
4) As you don't HAVE to be as funny as the acts there is less pressure on you, so don't be scared to try new ideas or material.
5) The best compere is the one who keeps the night together, keeps the crowd going, makes the evening flow BUT is the last thing people talk about after the show...so you're like a comedic secret agent.

All the best Richard Compere

www.myspace.com/1979coughlan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:45 pm 

Hopefully they won't smell the shit in my pants, that might make them feel awkward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:49 pm 

Some great points there from Mr Coughlan, especially 2) and 3).

The only thing I would say is be a bit careful with 4), whilst I don't necessarily disagree that as a compere you have licence to try stuff out, be aware that you still have to keep the audience onside, you don't want to totally kill the room trying out your new 'baby rape material' (extreme example for exaggerated effect) before you bring on the next act.

Check out my jokes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:53 pm 

Quote:
whilst I don't necessarily disagree that as a compere you have licence to try stuff out, be aware that you still have to keep the audience onside

That's true but i think if the nights going well it's ok to slip a little bit of new stuff in.

Quote:
'baby rape material'

Yes that's another good tip, try to stay as broad as you can, i have a joke about Rape, not babies but women old enough to appreciate it, and as an act it works but as a compere it never flies.

www.myspace.com/1979coughlan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:54 pm 

I have no 'new' babyrape stuff,
Just the bankers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:10 pm 

Omydaize wrote:
I have no 'new' babyrape stuff,
Just the bankers...

who do they rape?

oh, all of us....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:13 pm 

nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:58 pm 

my tip for compering,

be funnier than the acts that you introduce, especially the first one, it's hilarious watching them struggle after you've killed, the audience won't care how funny you are as compere, they'll just assume the act/acts are shit.

you get to bask in the audience praise afterwards, the other acts sulk wondering A) how was i so shit? B) why can't i get a gf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:37 am 

I compered for the first time yesterday. And it was fun! Fun, bloody fun! I used old material at different points, and tried out brand new stuff. I was fortunate though because this was a very friendly and nice gig, with students, which were up for anything! I managed to get them singing songs "Crazzzy Moose" and "Chicken", and they were hilarious, especially in the chicken song they were dancing with the moves I showed them. I thought what the hell am I/them doing, but they enjoyed it! I kept a running joke in there, every time I came on I repeated one of my lines and that seemed to work well. Get them involved, and there yours, even if some of the material you use doesn't work, they'll still warm to you. Erm and finally if you've seen Barbara Nice compere, shes bloody excellent constantly talking to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:38 am 

I compered for the first time yesterday. And it was fun! Fun, bloody fun! I used old material at different points, and tried out brand new stuff. I was fortunate though because this was a very friendly and nice gig, with students, which were up for anything! I managed to get them singing songs "Crazzzy Moose" and "Chicken", and they were hilarious, especially in the chicken song they were dancing with the moves I showed them. I thought what the hell am I/them doing, but they enjoyed it! I kept a running joke in there, every time I came on I repeated one of my lines and that seemed to work well. Get them involved, and there yours, even if some of the material you use doesn't work, they'll still warm to you. Erm and finally if you've seen Barbara Nice compere, shes bloody excellent constantly talking to everyone.