It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:58 pm 

Hi lovely Chortle folk, I have been asked to MC a gig tomorrow, something which I have never done and was wondering if people could just give me some quick tips of what I should be doing or not doing as the case maybe.

I've already looked at some of the threads in "Chortle Gold" but any advie, especialy from "new" comperes would be greatfully recieved!

Check out my jokes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:05 pm 

I've only compered once at the Comedy Balloon but it was great fun. I just started off with five minutes or so of material, then chatted to the crowd a bit (just to find out who was a regular, who'd never been, etc.), and to try a bit of banter with them.

Then before you get the first act on lay down the rules (turn phones off, don't heckle the acts, etc.) then introduce.

Depending on how many acts you've got on and how long the night runs, do a snippet of material between each act (not too much, and if possible, something that links into what the previous act was talking about to give the false impression you've just come up with it).

Try to make note of any unusual things that might happen during the night and try a bit of banter about them. Audience member lookalikes are always good for a cheap laugh.

Seemed to work for me, although I could be talking out of my ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:19 pm 

Cheers Spidey, your ring seems to be dispensing some real nuggets of wisdom, it's going to be "interesting" as I've never really done much audience banter and I don't exactly have a massive reserve of material to fall back on!

Check out my jokes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:23 pm 

What you do and how you handle it will depend on what acts you've got on, how good they are, how well they're doing and the general vibe of the night. I like to take an aggresive but on-side approach. My general technique is to walk on stage, bang the microphone and tell everyone to sit down and shut the f**** up. In your introduction, pick on the frailest, most scared/gormless looking person in the audience and really make a tit out of him or her. They won't be expecting that from the word go and if someone is really humiliated and the audience laugh at his/her pain they will be less likely to cause trouble later on. Then tell a few good jokes and introduce the first act. In between acts don't hold back from insulting acts that have just been on. As a general rule of respect, unless someone really really dies, don't insult their comedy - stick to personal remarks about how they're dressed, how they look, anything bad about them. This gives the audience a sense that you are there with them watching the acts rather than being an act yourself and, if you are better than, for example, the headliner or even those on before it ensures you won't dominate them (which you shouldn't if your compering.) If anybody heckles an act note who it is (if possible) and when you get back on mercilessly shoot them to the ground (even if they shut up when you return). If an act has really died then it's best to save the back pats for backstage, if you publically defend them while you're compering the audience will associate you with their weakness and that will undermine both you and the other acts you introduce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:22 am 

don't be shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:16 am 

Ignore all Spider's advice. Just listen to James.

Funhouse Comedy Clubs in Nottingham, Derby, Grantham, Lincoln, Burton, Ashby, Tamworth, Loughborough, Eastwood and Leicester. Best Midlands Club, Chortle 2006 and 2008 Awards http://www.funhousecomedy.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/funhouse_comedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:27 am 

if all the acts go down well, and the audience come away happy then the compare has done his job

James is right, just dont be shit

After seeing mr cowards on a number of occasions i can safely assume he will be a most excellent master of ceremony.

good luck mr c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:29 am 

Spider wrote:
I've only compered once at the Comedy Balloon but it was great fun. I just started off with five minutes or so of material, then chatted to the crowd a bit (just to find out who was a regular, who'd never been, etc.), and to try a bit of banter with them.

Then before you get the first act on lay down the rules (turn phones off, don't heckle the acts, etc.) then introduce.

Depending on how many acts you've got on and how long the night runs, do a snippet of material between each act (not too much, and if possible, something that links into what the previous act was talking about to give the false impression you've just come up with it).

Try to make note of any unusual things that might happen during the night and try a bit of banter about them. Audience member lookalikes are always good for a cheap laugh.

Seemed to work for me, although I could be talking out of my ring.

absolutely bang on.

Your one and only job is to make people laugh, so that's the bit to concentrate on. The rest will come quite naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:30 am 

Make sure you know how the mic stand works, so you don't spend the first 3rd of the night trying to stop it from falling over and generally looking like a dick. And not even an especially nice one.

Bitter experience talking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:32 am 

Mike listen to James!...er Oops! I mean Tony!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:43 am 

Put on about six stone in weight, try to forget everyone on the bills name, sweat.

Oh, and wear a silly hat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:44 pm 

Hi groovy gang, thanks for all the advice although this is not actually happening tonight now thanks to me being rather ill.

However I will be dipping my toe into the murky canal of compere-ing in the near future so I'm sure all of your valid points will come in handy.

Right I'm off to stuff my face and buy a silly hat!

Oh and Messers P and D, get a decent mic stand that one at the Aardvark is a deathtrap!

:-p

Check out my jokes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:47 pm 

tony cowards wrote:
Oh and Messers P and D, get a decent mic stand that one at the Aardvark is a deathtrap!

:-p

thats half the fun - i had no problem with it, nick is obviously not experienced in these things.

sorry to hear you're ill toby - get well soon

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:49 pm 

Look, normally, the only collapsing legs I have to deal with in pubs are my own. And I wasn't the only one who struggled with it. So n'yer to you with nobs on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:42 pm 

tony cowards wrote:
However I will be dipping my toe into the murky canal of compere-ing in the near future so I'm sure all of your valid points will come in handy.

It really is not at all as different to doing a set as some of the idiots round here will have you believe.