It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:43 pm 

Rather you than me. I coulden't stand up in front of a crowd for a million quid, yet I can talk ninety to the dozen on the radio. If you are short of material visit my site it's pretty much daytime stuff but its topical, and free for now at any rate cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:04 pm 

Hi Lewis

I will check it out.

Hawking gag needs a bit of work - but has potential

Did my 2nd gig last night at the Laughing Horse in Soho, was a great night lots of cool acts. By some fluke of natured I qualified for the semi-finals - and I didnt even know the judges.

I have definatley got the bug now........

http://www.knockcomedy.co.uk
Website constantly under construction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:23 pm 

Congrats on making the semi-finals. 2nd gig too!

I didn't get through, but I'm not bitter.

Bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:23 pm 

Likewise. How many gigs have I done? And I can't get through... well done (you sod) ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:48 pm 

Cheers guys,

One of the best things about my short time in comedy is the cool people I have met. If the acts at the semi's are as good as they were last night then it will be an honour to be on the same stage....I just hope the semi's arent my 3rd gig........I think I need a few more open spots between now and then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:47 pm 

Just thought I would update this thread - probably feel under pressure because it is "Gold Standard".

The semi finals were my thrid gig - was happy to just to take part though. Moving forward to the future. My fourth gig was last night at the amused moose - decided to do all new material because after 3 gigs I was bored of it.......

Next update soon - I wonder if ITV could commission this thread as a series.......not so much Take the Mike more Take the Piss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:52 pm 

Rik Taylor wrote:
Just thought I would update this thread - probably feel under pressure because it is "Gold Standard".

The semi finals were my thrid gig - was happy to just to take part though. Moving forward to the future. My fourth gig was last night at the amused moose - decided to do all new material because after 3 gigs I was bored of it.......

Next update soon - I wonder if ITV could commission this thread as a series.......not so much Take the Mike more Take the Piss

You changed your material after 3 gigs?

It's up to you if you want to go through a large cycle of material but it's a lot of un-required work to put in, especially since what you have seems to be standing you in good steed.

Why don't you concentrate on your stage presence/delivery? That's what i have been todl countless times. ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:16 pm 

I am just using the first 10 gigs or so to try new material before I start to perfect my presentation skills.

I like writing new material - and constantly searching for new topics and comic themes.

i will bring some of the old stuff back but it seems dated now -

Thanks for visiting my thread Nick - I say my thread because its part of my comic history ....blood, sweat, poo and tears have been released in here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Moving this from 'Gold' to 'Serious Topics' - but keeping the general first gig advice in Gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:37 pm 

Look at the size of this bloke's avatar!!!!

It's huge!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:01 pm 

Chortle wrote:
Moving this from 'Gold' to 'Serious Topics' - but keeping the general first gig advice in Gold.

On this topic, I feel I should say thanks for all the advice given by people in this topic; while it was not directed at me, it sure it helpful, and I feel people can't be thanked enough for being nice. So, once again, thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:04 pm 

*it sure is helpful

My reply from a few minutes again should read like above, not "it sure it helpful". I seem unable to edit the reply, so I have had to post another reply...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:01 pm 

I did my first open spot a few weeks ago, and much as I hate to boast (no, actually, that's lies. I love boasting - I just don't like it when other people do it), it went really rather well. If anyone out there is looking for some good, generic advice, here's the way I approached it...

First and foremost, if you're going to do this, you have to have confidence in your material. If you're not confident in your material, the performance will almost certainly reflect that. I wanted to do stand-up for ages, but delayed my first time for ages because I wasn't quite comfortable with my material or stage persona, and I'm glad I did now.

Planning is essential - practice the whole routine several times in the comfort of your own home, and time it too, so that you can be happy in the knowledge that you won't over or under-run. It's all about reducing the amount of things you might potentially worry about on stage.

But if you're nervous (like I was) and want a fallback in case you dry up, write down key words or phrases somewhere so that you can glance at them if needed. In the end I didn't need them because I spent a couple of minutes composing myself in the lav, looking at the key words, and making sure that it all flowed (the routine that is, not the other thing that I was doing in the lav).

Now then - slightly less obvious advice concerning alcohol. I drank 2 and a half pints before I went on stage, as that's the exact amount that I'm at my most relaxed, funny and charming in the pub, but still fully in control of my faculties. If I'd had 3 pints, there's a good chance it would have gone horribly wrong, I might have been tempted to improvise or something, which I'd have regretted. Everyone's tolerance will be different, so if you're partial to a pint, seriously think about how it might affect you before you even leave your house, let alone get to the bar.

Also, I'd agree with those who say don't be tempted to bring along a load of your mates. Bring a little support, or make sure you know a few people there already, but I didn't fancy the added pressure of having to impress people who already know me, or the idea that I might just deliver the whole thing directly to them, looking for reassurance the whole time and ignoring the rest of the audience.

All of this is advice from someone who's just gone through the wringer for the first time and come out the other end on a massive high. It's an amazing feeling to be at a gig and think "Hey, this is one of those really fun gigs where everyone's having a great time, the comic's having a great time, and the audience are having a great time!" and then suddenly realise that it's actually YOU on stage. Truly like nothing else I've ever experienced. (And I have to be honest, rather unexpected!)

Hence I now consider myself a bona fide expert on first gigs - just don't ask any questions relating to a second gig, or I'll just look blank and refer you to someone else... until next week, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 pm 

I wish I had this thread before my first gig at the start of last year. I made a load of schoolboy errors: I'd changed my set days before the gig; I used cheap wanking gags thinking nobody else had ever thought of them; and I forgot my material halfway through.

But, I did get some laughs and the crowd were hoping I'd be good. It was a Funhouse gong show in Derby and Spiky Mike was good to me.

It gave me the bug, I can even perform without beer now and I have my 17th gig on Monday night, confident but I guarantee I'll be shitting my pants on the night.

I've been getting myself to local open mics (albeit music but they let me tell jokes) which lets me test new material and see which older material works time and time again. I'd advise any new acts to hone their act in a similar way because it's good for your confidence. And I still count myself as a new act.