It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:38 pm 

How do other comedians feel when they've just taken the piss out of a member of the audience and the "punter" reacts by leaving?

I compered a gig the other night and asked a table of 5 lasses if they would shag the previous act. Actually....... I asked 4 of them before one would answer!

Two minutes later they left the venue, despite my protestations of innocence and only having a bit of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:45 pm 

I once chatted up a girl from the stage using the line "Your eyes are like spanners! Every time you look at me I feel my nuts tighten!" Her boyfriend looked well pissed off. Score!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:47 pm 

whoops, Warren! :)

Well if they go to a comedy night- the least they can do is remember to bring their sense of fun with them! he he!
having said that, tho- were they just innocently sitting in the middle or the back? or where they right in the comedic no man's land that is known as "The Front row"...? If it was the latter- what do they expect?!

I'm quite small and innocent looking, and I think it was hard for folks to get offended by anything I said in banter to them....I couldn't pull off that ole' "aggressive, ranting, etc" stylee.
never had anyone leave because of it- but give me time... ;)

LittleLeveller@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:00 pm 

Front row.

And my style is anything but aggressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:52 am 

WELL then.... on their next trip to comedy land- they should remember to pack their GSOH! :)

I'm sure your style isn't agressive. I've never seen you! (Well not to my knowledge/memory, anyway).
But you know what I mean, surely...? some acts have, like, a persona that is very "In yer' face", and when they start to banter with the punters- especially if they hone in on a specific person, it can be a bit scary! Aggressive was the wrong word I guess... no offence intended, warren!

LittleLeveller@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:16 am 

Was the Elephant man on before you ??

Or maybe they left to fuck him...all of them....that guy will really be thanking you the next time he sees you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:18 am 

It's not so much the reaction of the (no fun) people that leave, you should judge yerself by, but the way the remaining audience reacts . They will soon let you feel if you were out of order or spot on.It's not as if you were doing a gig for an Islamic hen night is it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:07 am 

I was compering a gig last night and there was a girl in the front getting steadily drunk who kept on chipping in, then whenever I took the piss for her being ratted, she was really offended and kept asking me for "serious talk". I wouldn't have picked on her if she hadn't been so mouthy, so I felt totally justified. But it's very annoying cos though the audience were on my side, those round her table and nearby couldn't help but be brought down a bit by it, and they were all much more on edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:46 am 

Matt Kendall - that line was around before you were born. You didn't write it so you shouldn't have said it on stage.

(Edited by Gary J Delaney at 9:55 am on Feb. 8, 2002)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:44 am 

A woman used to turn up regularly at Jinx who had a fair number of 'difficulties' adjusting to a comedy club environment. Never got her head around the fact that it wasn't always a dialogue. She used to love the show to bits, and would bring an assortment of extremely odd looking geezers, (always different ones), along with her every show. She'd always grab me or one of the other organisers afterwards and say it was her favourite night out, and how much she loved it, and so on. One night she got kind of unbearable.. Sitting near the front, always chipping in 'questions' in the middle of material, but I genuinely feel that she wasn't actually trying to be disruptive. She was just a bit odd. I tried everything that night in the way of aimiable banter to get her to pipe down, but it wasn't happening. Eventually, exasperated, I went for 'Oh, for fuck's sake, just SHUT UP'. Applause from the rest of the crowd, and shut up she indeed did, but she never came back. Always felt kind of bad about that one, but.. Christ, what can you do sometimes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:04 pm 

A year and a half ago I was compering a week of gigs in Glasgow. On the last night at Blackfriars a stunning female with long black hair a little black dress and a wiggle to die for was there with her tall dark handsome boyfriend. Before bringing on the last act (gavin Webster) I complained that I hadn`t had a snog all week and that I was off to the bar to drown my sorrows. The response I got from this classy chick was "do you want a kiss or a pint?" She dumped the boyfriend, came onto the stage and snogged me. we now live together and are getting married. The punter boyfriend then left the gig.

Oh and some random guy came on stage with a pint for me

Now that is what I call going too far.......by about 18months and a joint mortgage.

Do not send PMs. Emails only please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:22 pm 

Okay then chortlers, beat this...

I compared a gig in Bristol with the bizarre combination of three other Brummie acts, due to delays on the motorway we were a little pissed when we got there. The front row was entirely soldiers in uniform from whatever barracks is in Bristol, A few tractor and farmer comments and they were on the stage, toe to toe with the first act, as a gesture of support we fellow Brummie's took to the stage, well long enough to grab our friend and trap out of the firedoor.

The next day the promoter phoned to say that after we left they smashed the place up quite well before one of the pissed up wankers fell in the dock and drowned - lifes hard then you die!!

Worst gig award? I might have it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:19 pm 

nevermind warren, was that the ropery gig?

oh and nice one for getting your face in the Metro, even if it was when you doing your 'slash out of guns and roses' impression

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:14 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from The Mighty Prawn on 1:22 pm on Feb. 8, 2002
Okay then chortlers, beat this...

they smashed the place up quite well before one of the pissed up wankers fell in the dock and drowned - lifes hard then you die!!

What a change,a member of the audience dying and not an act

Since it was a squaddie does that mean the comics of brum are now at war with her maj armed forces?

Do not send PMs. Emails only please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:59 pm 

Gary J Delaney, I have never watched a comedian that has done their set and I hadn't heard one jokes before. If someone was known for doing that joke that is fair enough, but general jokes are any one's to use.