It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:24 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from comedyg on 4:22 pm on Feb. 13, 2002
It is a tricky one, though. I once saw someone heckled by someone who was clearly mentally handicapped...

Are you possibly refering to the time in South Shields when I got heckled by a guy with down syndrome?

yes it was tough one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 9:35 pm 

I remember that South Shields gig Jon - it was really a nightmare from start to finish. Thankfully we've moved on a LOT since then !!

As far as aggressive responses to hecklers go - I, personally, don't like them. I think any real aggression from an onstage act just kills the light hearted atmosphere that you need for a comedy night.

If someone in the audience is really ruining things it's much better to get someone like a bouncer (or someone other than the onstage comedian) to deal with them - that way the atmosphere doesn't get so obviously affected.

But that's just my opinion.

I also don't like offending people and I've dropped quite a bit of material that i've had one or two negative comments about, even though the majority of people used to laugh at it.

But again, that's just me.

As far as dealing with people with mental health problems go - think about how you would feel if it was your brother for example, who had the problems, and a comedian was taking the piss out of them - what would you say was the limit then?

Hmmmm.........I've been far too politically correct in this post - I'd better go shag a donkey or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:08 am 

Quote:
Quote: from Warren S on 8:35 pm on Feb. 13, 2002
I also don't like offending people and I've dropped quite a bit of material that i've had one or two negative comments about, even though the majority of people used to laugh at it.

I've had someone have a go at me for 10 minutes on the WTC and Sept 11th. Their POV was "there are just some things you don't tell jokes about". They'd sat through the set in complete stony silence.

However, I quickly wiped the smug, PC grin off their face when I told them that my girlfriend had a good friend killed at the WTC and if she found it funny and - more importantly - unoffensive, then who the #### are they to complain?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:21 am 

[quote]
However, I quickly wiped the smug, PC grin off their face when I told them that my girlfriend had a good friend killed at the WTC and if she found it funny and - more importantly - unoffensive, then who the #### are they to complain?

Mike

How does your girlfriend's circle of friends affect what complete strangers find offensive?

Some people find an attack that wiped out 3000 people in one go quite upsetting. The fact that you are lucky enough to have the trophy of a dead friend is immaterial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:43 am 

I was on at Commedicas one time and I was really getting
somewhere when this bird and 7 other students invaded
the gig to collect for charity.

Wasn't that a fun night out, Jon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:06 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Toby on 10:21 am on Feb. 14, 2002
[Some people find an attack that wiped out 3000 people in one go quite upsetting. The fact that you are lucky enough to have the trophy of a dead friend is immaterial.

Disagree. IMO, the views of someone who has a direct link to the subject in question are infinitely more important than some of the PC mob who simply express a distaste for it, because "it's bad, mmmkay".

If I come up with material that could be deemed offensive (asian, gay, ginger, whatever), I'll do my damnedest to run it by someone who is of that persuasion. If they are offended by it (or rather, think it could be taken the wrong way), then fine, it gets dropped and forgotten about. If they aren't offended by it, then that leaves only the Perennially Indignant to complain. I figure that I'm going to offend someone, somewhere. Might as well be those with least cause to complain.

I suppose I feel that if I'm going to make a joke about something that could be distasteful, then I want to make sure I have a point to make and not simply pointing and laughing at someone elses misfortune.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:07 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Warren S
As far as dealing with people with mental health problems go - think about how you would feel if it was your brother for example, who had the problems, and a comedian was taking the piss out of them - what would you say was the limit then?

Hmmmm.........I've been far too politically correct in this post - I'd better go shag a donkey or something.

Fair comment, but the problem still remains. someone's making a load of noise and ruining the gig for everyone else. What do you you do?

Enjoy the donkey btw. Can't beat a good ass.

http://www.frogandbucket.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:13 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Plissken on 10:08 am on Feb. 14, 2002
I've had someone have a go at me for 10 minutes on the WTC and Sept 11th. Their POV was "there are just some things you don't tell jokes about". They'd sat through the set in complete stony silence.

Mike
What has that got to do with being PC or not? That's about a persons feelings on a subject - and it may suprise a tosser like you that there are people out that think that the murder of thousands of people is upsetting, and not a joking matter - not that I'd expect you to understand that, from your reaction. And what has your girlfriend personal beliefs got to do with thiers?

Theres plenty of acts that have approached this subject (and other souch touchy subjects over history) with care and tact, and produced good, relative and well thought out, humourous material - and other that come out with crass and offensive rubbish. I wonder which catagory your material would fall into?

People have a right not to find you funny - if people are sitting in front of you in stony silence, maybe you should come up with some better material, instead of pissing off the audience? I'm sure this will now be someone, who doesn't go back to that comedy club again, a fact I'm sure the promoter will eternally thank you for.

Melbourne International Comedy Festival

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:16 pm 

Additionally - How do you know that person didn't have a direct link with it? And this person has a lot more feelings than that your girlfriend?

Melbourne International Comedy Festival

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:41 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Alex on 11:13 am on Feb. 14, 2002
Quote:
Quote: from Plissken on 10:08 am on Feb. 14, 2002
Theres plenty of acts that have approached this subject (and other souch touchy subjects over history) with care and tact, and produced good, relative and well thought out, humourous material - and other that come out with crass and offensive rubbish. I wonder which catagory your material would fall into?

Ask Lee (threesecondmemory) at XS Malarkey, he's seen it. I'll even dump it to MP3 and let you listen to it and judge for yourself if you want.

But for your information, it was written with care and tact and I was damned careful to make sure that it wasn't crass and offensive rubbish. It wasn't about the WTC, but about the stupid reactions to it from all sides, US, Britain, Afghan. In terms of joking about the WTC, it was a magnitude less sick that that Tourist of Death thing that went around.

My point originally was, someone is going to take offense no matter what I do and if someone is going to take offense just because I bring the subject up, then frankly I don't care about that, because that type of person will find offense even where there is none.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:59 pm 

[quote]Quote: from Plissken on 11:06 am on Feb. 14, 2002

Disagree. IMO, the views of someone who has a direct link to the subject in question are infinitely more important than some of the PC mob who simply express a distaste for it, because "it's bad, mmmkay".

If I come up with material that could be deemed offensive (asian, gay, ginger, whatever), I'll do my damnedest to run it by someone who is of that persuasion. If they are offended by it (or rather, think it could be taken the wrong way), then fine, it gets dropped and forgotten about.
[quote]

At the risk of repeating myself from another thread, that is stupid, and patronising. One ginger bloke does not speak for the ginger collective, and the fact that you give yorself the safety net of "well he said it's cool" suggests that you're uncertain of the valididty of your material.
Let's follow what you said. You said that if you came up with some asian material you'd "run it by" an asian. Well what if he's a twat?

Dear me, it's been interesting over this last couple of days to see how much people are genuinely unsure of what comedy is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:04 pm 

Whenever comedy is made from disaster, I suppose there are always going to be people who think it's taboo and get offended. If you're going to take that risk I think you should be prepared to explain yourself to those who do get offended. Besides, if you're trying to make a point with your material then you might enjoy talking about it afterwards.

I started doing Afghan and war material on September 13th, (foresight, eh?) and had good responses at every gig through the Autumn until December, when a couple came and said that they thought comparing Sep 11 to the Manchester bomb was offensive. We chatted for about 5 minutes, as I explained what I was trying to get at.
To be frank I thought they were ignorant tossers who hadn't actually listened, (I don't actually make a direct comparison between the 2 attacks) but I sat and explained myself. They still didn't like it, but at least they understood and weren't quite so offended (or so they said).

Please don't get too pissed off at Mike. I haven't heard his material, but I've been hearing some nice words about his comedy. I doubt I'd have heard that if he was being sick & crass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:16 pm 

Quote:
Quote: from Toby on 11:59 am on Feb. 14, 2002
At the risk of repeating myself from another thread, that is stupid, and patronising. One ginger bloke does not speak for the ginger collective, and the fact that you give yorself the safety net of "well he said it's cool" suggests that you're uncertain of the valididty of your material.

I'm uncertain whether it is funny. I'm still incredibly green at this (10 or so gigs), so I'm trying to gauge opinion - is it funny? is it stupid? is it offensive? Can I say this but not say that? Every gig is a learning experience, every gag is a struggle.

It is totally a confidence thing. Perhaps I don't think I am looking for "validation" (if it means what I think you mean) but I think I'm more looking for... ####, can't think of the word. Exploring limits? Working out what can be said and what can't? Saying the same thing in a more acceptable manner? (For the record, I don't do asian or gay gags, 'cos I haven't a clue how to write them and don't find that particularly funny. Topical stuff is what floats my boat.)

Let's follow what you said. You said that if you came up with some asian material you'd "run it by" an asian. Well what if he's a twat?

Probably figure it out about three seconds after I get shit for it from a crowd and not do it again.

Dear me, it's been interesting over this last couple of days to see how much people are genuinely unsure of what comedy is.

Like I say, 10 gigs and about 8 months since my first go on stage. I am definitely unsure of what comedy is. I know what I find funny and am kind of taking it from there, really.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:22 pm 

Bill Shankley had a good argument for this type of thing.

'Stick it in the net, worry about your options later.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next