It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:11 pm 

I'm guilty of most of the things listed here. Lookalike gags, Star Wars impressions and a Big Brother routine. I just do what I think is funny and let other people worry about what's hack.

P.S. Have I mentioned my ground-breaking differences between men and women/photocopier routine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:10 pm 

Phil Klein wrote:
Life is a load of old shite anyway. Why shouldn't comedy reflect that?

Hey Deklein, don't talk about your material like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:23 pm 

Agree with James2 and Jonathan Creek and Waheetay and that lot.

But

Occasionally you hear people doing hack punchlines, with nothing new and no twist of their own. They can be worthy of cringe, and should be ceased.

eg. George Bush is so stupid, and I don't know if you heard about this, he got beaten by a pretzel, did you see that, a pretzel, yeah, can you believe that, the leader of the free world, and a pretzel. Pretzel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:49 am 

Poz wrote:
Agree with James2 and Jonathan Creek and Waheetay and that lot.

But

Occasionally you hear people doing hack punchlines, with nothing new and no twist of their own. They can be worthy of cringe, and should be ceased.

eg. George Bush is so stupid, and I don't know if you heard about this, he got beaten by a pretzel, did you see that, a pretzel, yeah, can you believe that, the leader of the free world, and a pretzel. Pretzel.

Did the "But" deserve a whole line to itself?

Which, as Belgrave would tell you, has nothing to do with having cocaine snorted up your arse.

" ... His shiny eyes of truth could transport me to a forbidden place ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:37 pm 

Alan Driscoll wrote:
I guess the moral of the story is, don't try and get laughs from lame jokes that other comedians have already used. It's the repetition that bothers me. When you're thinking "Hey - that wasn't your joke. Why are you watching you?"

The thing is, we're comedy snobs on here. Ever alert to a comedian doing a joke even remotely sounding like one we've heard before. Deconstructing and analyzing someones act down to atomic proportions.

Hack Hack Hack, that is just not original enough. We want ground breaking comedy from the guy who's been going 18 months. Oh my god, not another joke about someones Mum and her funny sayings or Star Wars (even if it is funny).

It's funny that this thread has started as at my gig last week, a number of audience members came up to me throughout the gig.
"Peter, if I could just take issue with comic x, I found some of his material rather hackneyed."
"Oi dickhead, 9 months ago I heard someone do remarkably similar material to you."

I'm being sarcastic obviously as this would never happen, that's because 98% of the audience don't give a flying fuck. They come out, get pissed, have a laugh, go home and won't remember the jokes the next day, but know they had a good laugh. The 2% is probably comics.
Using someones joke word for word I don't agree with but the previously stated phrases (in the thread) don't fit into to this.

I'm prescribing a comedy chill pills to us all. Take one a day till the symtoms disest or you find Peter Kay funny.

It's a very busy, very difficult time at the moment... Ive left young Weatherby in charge... Very enthusiastic... a little overenthusiastic, if truth be told...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:01 pm 

I agree with what Poz agreed with.

This is all nonsense.

If people laugh then it's funny. I mean you don't criticise fire hoses. "Yes it put the fire out, but I don't like the way it did it. I saw another hose do exactly the same thing"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:20 pm 

I think that, ultimately, the goal is to have a bank of material and a personna that is unique to you. That you are bringing people into your world - as distinct from everyone elses.

The thing is, however, that if you look at newcomers who fit into this criteria, the general consensus is that they are shite. Because, if their stuff is really different, invariably, most people won't get it. "Unusual" acts starting out haven't, for the most part, developed the capacity to translate their uniqueness into something that people can relate to.

And the chances are that many never will. The genius of Eddie Izzard is that he did.

In the meantime you've always got the choice of going for the easy laugh - something which is more generic - or doing something which is truly unique to you - but so unique that no one else has a fucking clue what you are talking about.

" ... His shiny eyes of truth could transport me to a forbidden place ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:40 am 

polabear wrote:
Anything that is a thinly guised letter sent to Viz in 1996. I have all the back issues and a photographic memory. So if I hear anything I recognise I'll spew. On the spot.

I recently bought a Viz for the first time in ages and realised that one of my opening gags was very similar to a letter, so dropped the joke... but, just goes to show that coincidences can happen, I guess. And that I have the mind of an emotionally retarded 13 year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:55 pm 

"It's almost time for me to go... but before I do..."

Pisses me right off!

Thank you all, rockstars

www.onebiglaugh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:15 pm 

Phil Klein wrote:
In the meantime you've always got the choice of going for the easy laugh - something which is more generic - or doing something which is truly unique to you - but so unique that no one else has a fucking clue what you are talking about.

Does anybody have a world-view that is 'unique'? I suppose literally because we are all individual. But surely there's simply too many of us to presume that 'we' are the only person that see things a different way to 'everybody' else. The best comics offer us their own take on things in a way that people who don't share their view will understand, whilst some of the worst talk utter drivel and complain that nobody gets it because they're 'unique'.
But I wouldn't criticise somebody for going for the 'easy laugh'. If we can make them think about things differently, then great. But comedians who 'talk' (and actually fail to hit a punchline!) at the audience are often dismissive of people who do a knob gag, but at the end of the day that is the basic thing that we're paid to do. Make people laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:53 pm 

FruitTBun wrote:
Phil Klein wrote:

Does anybody have a world-view that is 'unique'? I suppose literally because we are all individual. But surely there's simply too many of us to presume that 'we' are the only person that see things a different way to 'everybody' else. The best comics offer us their own take on things in a way that people who don't share their view will understand, whilst some of the worst talk utter drivel and complain that nobody gets it because they're 'unique'.
But I wouldn't criticise somebody for going for the 'easy laugh'. If we can make them think about things differently, then great. But comedians who 'talk' (and actually fail to hit a punchline!) at the audience are often dismissive of people who do a knob gag, but at the end of the day that is the basic thing that we're paid to do. Make people laugh.

Hate to get all scientific on yo' ass (as the yoot say), but all people, and therefore by inference, all people's perceptions of the world, are different. Even identical twins start behaving differently the moment they exit the womb.

If you don't believe me, say a simple word (like 'rock' or 'dog' or 'telephone') to a group of 4 or 5 people. Then ask them to write down what the said object looks like. Result? Five different descriptions.

This may seem a footling argument, but if you extend it to writing & performing comedy, everybody's experiences, opinions, etc. are going to be different.

So if you write from the gut and the heart, chances are that your material, while it will reference other comics (try asking somebody to build a car that's never seen one before), will be uniquely yours.

Anyway, post office queues, eh? Take ages don't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:58 pm 

Nick P wrote:
Even identical twins start behaving differently the moment they exit the womb.

You can't flog me that one I've met Johnson & Johnson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:01 pm 

'They say that twins think the same things. Do you think that either one of them thinks the other one is a cunt?'

John Maloney-28th July 2003. (speaking about Johnson and Johnson)

Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:57 pm 

Fair enough, Nik P. That's why I mentioned that, of course, we are all unique literally. I just don't like people using the excuse of being unique for not being funny, and looking down on people who perform comedy just to make people laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:50 pm 

I get sick of repeated "Give me a cheer if . . ."

Fair play if MCs want to get crowds warmed up or whatever, but it gets on my tit when comics use it as an attempt to get the audience on their side when their jokes aren't going too well. Some genuine examples are "Give me a cheer if . . ."

"... you've ever watched TV"

"... you like Lesbians"

"... you drink beer"

"... you've ever been on holiday's"

"... you eat takeaways"

"... you like wanking"

"... you can read"

And it goes on. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I prefer a cheer to be earned, not supplied on demand.

http://sciencedigestive.blogspot.com/

@garwboy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next