It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:43 am 

What are some of the bets heckle put-downs you've heard / given? I always have a few prepared, but generally seem to resort to swearing a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:55 am 

A very drunk and rather thick heckler had shouted a few largely non-sensical things out during the show at Get A Grip this week. Hal Cruttenden asked if anyone had any children. This man stood up to announce that he had. Hal said "Yes, but your not allowed to see them!" It brought the house down. (then I kicked heckler out.)

Funhouse Comedy Clubs in Nottingham, Derby, Grantham, Lincoln, Burton, Ashby, Tamworth, Loughborough, Eastwood and Leicester. Best Midlands Club, Chortle 2006 and 2008 Awards http://www.funhousecomedy.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/funhouse_comedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:32 am 

spikymike wrote:
(then I kicked heckler out.)

Thank fuck someone else does this.

You come to watch the comedy, a bit of banter...fine. Pissed up idiots who decide to chat loudly because the acts 'aren't funny'...and you speak for the other 70 people at the gig.

My gig, you shut up or fuck off out of the place. Thankyou.

It's a very busy, very difficult time at the moment... Ive left young Weatherby in charge... Very enthusiastic... a little overenthusiastic, if truth be told...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:53 am 

WHere do you draw the line between a "decent" heckle and a throw-outable offence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:43 am 

Funny heckles are ok, people who won't shut up should be chucked out. If possible make the chucking out as funny as possible, so that it becomes part of the show, and the humiliation of the perpetrator acts as an example to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:21 am 

Location: Proud to represent England in the Prigging World Cup!
Hartley wrote:
WHere do you draw the line between a "decent" heckle and a throw-outable offence?

When the heckling stops becoming a a bit of friendly banter and starts becoming disruptive.
Most very experienced comics have so many put-downs that it's possible for them to "banter" with the heckler for ages but then of course the rest of audience aren't hearing the comic's material, just them trying to beat down the heckler ... so remove disruption!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:24 pm 

Heckling is an art form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:07 pm 

I always have a quiet word with people if they are repeatedly interupting or chatting. If after asking them several times they still carry on, I ask them to leave, but if I think they may be difficult to get to leave, I wait till the interval. On this occasion, I pursuaded his more sober friends to get him out.
Promoters should always deal with this. If left unchecked, it can ruin a show.

Funhouse Comedy Clubs in Nottingham, Derby, Grantham, Lincoln, Burton, Ashby, Tamworth, Loughborough, Eastwood and Leicester. Best Midlands Club, Chortle 2006 and 2008 Awards http://www.funhousecomedy.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/funhouse_comedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:21 pm 

David Baddiel mentioned this next put-down. Somebody was having an absolute 'mare at the Comedy Store when somebody at the back stood up and shouted 'Everybody hates you. Surely you remember that from school?'

Cruel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:58 pm 

Nick P wrote:
David Baddiel mentioned this next put-down. Somebody was having an absolute 'mare at the Comedy Store when somebody at the back stood up and shouted 'Everybody hates you. Surely you remember that from school?'

Cruel.

What he never mentions when he brings that story out is the fact that he was the aforementioned comic to which the heckle was directed - very selective memory recall that baddiel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:46 pm 

Hang on, I'm confused. Was that a heckle, a put-down or just a gently amusing anecdote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:47 pm 

The Mighty Prawn wrote:
What he never mentions when he brings that story out is the fact that he was the aforementioned comic to which the heckle was directed - very selective memory recall that baddiel...

Well I'll be dipped in shit. I never knew that. Although the fact I managed to buy his 'Too Much Information' live video for a pound from a bargain bin a couple of years ago should have given me a clue...

(Always been blessed with superior comedy partners, Mr Baddiel. A new-age Ernie Wise, if you will).

Anyway, other good put-downs. An act I saw had only just walked on stage and a pissed student shouted 'Tell us a joke'. So he said 'Okay, an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scot walked into a pub. And they all agreed that you were a c**t'.

Made me laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:05 pm 

(stupid) I just basically have an ex Gloucester comedian(Gerry Thomas) standing by in the wings to shoot anyone who speaks out of turn,acts or audience,all get the same treatment.(allegedly)

PS many of you will be far too young to understand the significance of Mr Thomas but look it up on the web anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:37 am 

I do like Milton Jones's bit

'So, where do you live?'
(heckler replies)
'OK. Why do you live?'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:05 am 

Joe Heenan has oft uttered the classic..

Glad you came..
shame your Dad did.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next