It is currently Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 9:01 am 

I did a corporate gig last night ( xmas do for an engineering company ) and the MD introduced us to the audience thus:

'' I've booked a couple of lads to speak to you now, lets hope their better than the last idiot''

Oh yeah, build 'em up.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 7:06 pm 

I was introduced this weekend at a proper big daddy of a comedy club in front of 200 eager comedygoers...

"Wasn't that guy great? Let's hear it once again for him... Next up, we've got an amateur who's come down to give it a go. And remember if you fancy trying to make a few of us laugh, come and have a word with me after. Anyway, make him feel welcome..."

I did kind of feel that the 4 hour journey from London and 100 gigs in the past year felt a bit like more than "an amateur coming up to give it a go" - but that was just me wanting to be one of the bigger boys. Hey ho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 4:41 pm 

Last summer a chancer who claimed to have spent years on the American circuit, even though this turned out to be summer seasons in Spain, set up a club night in Leeds, advertised that Ali G was playing the first night and sold 500 tickets. As there was no Ali G ( shocker ) he stuck on 2 very experienced open spots and introduced them as " before we have the proffessionals, here are a couple of amatuers ", After about 5 minutes, the audience realised that they had been ripped off and started to riot, the story made the national press and the promoter/ compere was quesioned by trading standards officers. However, audiences in Leeds are only just starting to trust comedy clubs again. If anyone is approached by a promoter called Gary Beer to do gigs for him. tell him where to go !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 11:21 am 

What makes a good compere?

Being called Toby Foster.

I've been watching him for about a year now, and he's great. He runs a club in Sheffield, and should be hugely famous, but he's not. He is without doubt the quickest put down merchant I've seen.

Peabo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:34 pm 

I've started doing a regular compereing gig and as a result of it have had to pretty much do a jekyll and hyde, splitting my act and compereing down the middle and keeping them both separate. Apart from my own material, I'm now writing quick stuff and oneliners which is almost at odds with my regular material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:19 am 

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life it a little. If only to laugh again at Kitson introduction of Ruth. Anyone got any new stories to add?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:57 am 

Just like to agree totally with Andy Fox. Who incidentally is a very good compere.

Andy Laud at Buccaneers is also a favourite of mine.

Brian Damage and Krystall - usually comedians and compere's rolled into one at Pear Shaped and pull it off wonderfully.

Andre Vincent has it off perfectly.

Harvey Oliver is a great guy to have compereing.

Mr.Kitson is my favourite comedian, but he was a contributory factor in a couple of stage deaths of funny, but arguably less talented comics, who he introduced at Late and Live. The compere should warm up the crowd. Not take them to boiling point. In my humble opinion only.

Oh yes. I saw Danny Williams compereing the other night and thought he had it spot on. Nice bloke too.

Sorry to all those great comperes I haven't mentioned. There are too many. You know who you are !

Forgot to mention Malcolm at The Creek ! How could I ? Don't know how to describe the style, but it works. I was laughing when I went on stage ! Not sure if that's supposed to happen, but it did !

:exclaim: :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:09 pm 

The funniest outro I've ever heard was by Andy Fox after an early performance by mentally deranged pig punster Martin Spear. After Martin had played to 5 minutes of stunned audience silence, he climaxed his set by ripping off his t-shirt to reveal the words PIG FUCKER written in jumbo marker across his nipples. Leaving to barely a ripple of applause, Andy Fox followed him on, telling the audience:

" In early eighteenth century France, the Marquis De Sade wrote and directed a play called the Persecution Of Marat, which was specifically written to be performed by inmates of the local lunatic asylum. We couldn't bring you that tonight, so instead we brought you MARTIN SPEAR ladies and gentleman!"

Genius!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:20 pm 

Martin Spear is great. Long live the "pig fucker"...

what's happened to him? haven't seen him about for a good while. the circuit has been deprived for too long! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 2:16 am 

What makes a good compere?
That's a difficult one...
jokes?

http://www.briandamage.net
http://www.pearshapedcomedy.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:30 am 

Skye Treedweller wrote:
Martin Spear is great. Long live the "pig fucker"...

what's happened to him? haven't seen him about for a good while. the circuit has been deprived for too long! :)

He was still going as of a couple of weeks ago...
A marvellous act... audiences either love him or hate him - no middle ground whatsoever!

Melbourne International Comedy Festival

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:28 pm 

richard wrote:
The funniest outro I've ever heard was by Andy Fox

And another great Andy Fox outro: about three years ago at the Cafe on a Wednesday night, some bloke I've never seen again who called himself the Thief of Badgags - wore a Fez and eveything - came on and did ten minutes of vitriol aimed purely at Mr Fox for no very good reason, and certainly no laughs.

Andy goes up afterwards, smiles, pauses and says:

"What a very orginal and amusing (pause) hat."

You had to be there.

Cheers

Nic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:33 pm 

Sometimes there is nothing better to introduce someone than a compere who isn't a comic at all and chucks the first act in at the deep end.
It's nice and simple, the audience warm to the compere as he's one of them whereas if he'd done material they hadn't found funny they don't. Also it leaves them wanting the first act, a proper build up. Without the humour in between the audience learns to eagerly await the next act.
Basically you need someone with authority, humour (although not prepared to use it) and intelligence. Wouldn't work in every club, of course... particularly not late n' live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:57 am 

For compering, the best act I have seen who is consistently able to 'big up the acts' without out shining them, is Mick Ferry. The man is gifted, and has the flexibilty to work any crowd in a the most natural way.

Give this man a residency!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:57 pm 

Steve Bennett wrote:
Slightly controversial this, as I agree that announcing open spots as such before they go on and not after is bad form.

But, I have seen it happen more than once when someone's very first time on stage ever is announced, and they are obviously a quivering bag of nerves, and even getting a sentence out is a real struggle.

In these cases, the audience has always been very supportive, even cheering them back on stage when theu felt they couldn't go on.

I wonder if the punters would have been so keen to help if they hadn't been told this was an absolute novice?

Obviously, this wouldn't apply to most open spots, but is there not a case to prime the audience in certain cases?

I have compared gigs where afew acts have asked to be recognised as 'newbie's' at the start of the slot. Otherwise I would tell the crowd after, assuming of course that they have not already worked it out.

P.S. Dave Ward and Dave Dynamite are two that I've seen regular like. And they don't half gee up a room.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next