It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:52 am 

Amazing gig....awful gig...packed gig...empty gig....cancelled gig....average gig..... and so on and so on...aaaaargh!
how does everyone cope with how unstable it always is.
I love performing and I don't want to give up or anything, I'm just interested to know if anyone has any specific ways with dealing with what a headfuck it can be sometimes?
I hear Andy Kaufman used to meditate. do you reckon that'd work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:39 am 

coolio wrote:
I hear Andy Kaufman used to meditate. do you reckon that'd work?

Andy died a horrible death at a young age in a country that largely reviled/ignored him. Ditto Hicks, another meditator.
I'd give it a miss to be honest.

Good tip I heard was to keep a 'gig diary'. Not only keeps track of what material's working or not, you may be suprised how many you mark as being 'good'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:48 am 

I dread to think wot ya diary says about last night then.

- - - and, hey, you're lying, you appeared to be meditating throughout !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:03 am 

My zen-like attitude can only be achieved through patiently, diligently and carefully having a half-dozen pints of lager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:03 am 

Try thinking about how fantastic it is to go backwards and forwards every day to a job that's nearly always the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:26 am 

I love the fear of doing a gig and not knowing how it is going to go! That fear is great and keeps me on my toes.
Also i cope by having lots of sex and shouting at people who love me and take the flak coz they know come the weekend I will be away gigging and they can be with normal people.

"Unique" Dave Gorman
"Unique" Stewart Lee
"You're Scottish?" Woody Allen
"You are funny, what d'you wanna drink?" George Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:08 am 

If a gig goes well i enjoy the high. If it goes badly i drink and drink till i can't remember anything at all and wake up in an unknown location with the mother and father of all hangovers and an inability to remember the previous night. Obviously i am weak individual who uses alcohol as a crutch, but go with what works eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:49 am 

Fun fairs are dangerous places. Large numbers of the over-excited public come into close proximity with some dangerous machinery.

No chances should be taken, rollercoasters that become emotional should be forcibly retired immediately.

Ian Creese

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:25 am 

Dont use alcohol - it blurs your real emotions about all of this. You need your wits and your real responses to be as sharp as a pin.

If you died on your arse - pull on your coat and catch the night bus home.

If it goes great - have a pint, bask a little, then get the night bus home. You are only ever one gig away from dying on your arse again.

If the crowd were great - have a pint, bask a little. They are your audience and have only behaved how you wanted them to behave. Not your new mates.

If the crowd are cunts - fuck em.

http://www.ceciliasmart.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:51 pm 

Yes, but having a drink or two can relax you - and can take away the stress of thinking "I've got to make these fuckers laugh" to a point where you're thinking, "I'm going to enjoy myself". Often I wished that newer acts would go on pissed and not give a shit, rather than "trying" to be funny.

Stand-up comedy is a social thing, most of the audience are drinking, and so, if you have a drink yourself, in a sense, you are tapping into the collective mindset as, on a subconscious level, they might be thinking, "(s)he's one of us".

" ... His shiny eyes of truth could transport me to a forbidden place ..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:02 pm 

Phil Klein wrote:
Yes, but having a drink or two can relax you - and can take away the stress of thinking "I've got to make these fuckers laugh" to a point where you're thinking, "I'm going to enjoy myself". Often I wished that newer acts would go on pissed and not give a shit, rather than "trying" to be funny.

I always have three pints before a gig - and it has worked much better than not drinking anything. Although it has failed once or twice - we all die or have a nightmare gig.

Regarding small gigs, big gigs, crap gigs, great gigs, average gigs, empty gigs... they all have something in common - they are all gigs, and if you're new, its all stage time, so in my opinion it can only make you better... so fuck it

If you love performing and there is no audience, think about your performance because you'll get away with stuff you won't be able to when you go on and play the bigger gigs.#

Its all experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:13 pm 

Unless your set involves being drunk, I reckon it's always best to have absolutely no more than one pint pre gig - this I have found out through painful experience.

A couple of pints might relax you, but they also can - and invariably will - throw your timing and a usually funny punchline can turn into a big ol' lead balloon.

I agree with Janey, part of the fun of gigging is not knowing what to expect from the night, and that sort of adds to the adrenaline I find. Will the venue be suited to a comedy night, will there be a big crowd, will they be rowdy or up for being entertained or noiseless chucklers?

It's the inconsistent nature of comedy which probably attracts us all back to the stage time after time. If a gig goes well, the next one can't come soon enough. If a gig goes bad, you have a point to prove, so again the next one can't come soon enough.

Comedy with consistency just wouldn't be as much fun. At least, from a performer's point of view. Or at least from this performer's point of view.

Thank you all, rockstars

www.onebiglaugh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:21 pm 

Quote:

But it becomes a problem when you simply cannot get on stage without a couple of pints inside you.
Being sober is harder but you are more in tune with what you are doing wrong rather than being relaxed to the point of slurring words and pissing about. I need to do this sober..

http://www.ceciliasmart.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:24 pm 

I have 1 pint b4 a gig, anymore and I can't recall my material as well. Despite this I'm not a lightweight. I cope rather well because most of my gigs go well. I think this is because I'm talented and as funny as fuck. When I have a bad gig I see it as a wake up call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:56 pm 

Michael_McEwan wrote:
A couple of pints might relax you, but they also can - and invariably will - throw your timing

Which, in some cases, might not be a bad thing ...

" ... His shiny eyes of truth could transport me to a forbidden place ..."