It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:09 am 

Cognito's book is an excellent read. Get it for free at his website...

http://www.iancognito.co.uk/cogtale.pdf

http://www.iancognito.co.uk/cogtale.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:52 am 

Avoid buying a U.S., book called How to Be A Working Comic - totally useless for the UK comic, unless you're planning to play venues like the Comedy Stop, Arizona .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:24 pm 

Tony Allen's "Attitude - Wanna Make Something Of It" is worth a read. He's an idiosyncratic performer who is never afraid to take risks, and consequently can be less than funny at times, but I personally think that's preferable to someone who is technically perfect and trots out the same act over and over again. I believe he also runs classes which are less about technique-by-numbers and more about finding your own voice. The book got a decent review on this site, for what it's worth.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/books/bkfeatures/attitude.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:04 pm 

Although not strictly about stand up (but does include it) “Double Take And Fade Away” By Leslie Halliwell is a really good history of comedy in general, goes all the way back to the Roman empire. It's a good read too.

Wonder what the first ever joke was?

cp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:05 pm 

Adam to Eve: "Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets".

Thankyouverymuch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:11 pm 

Nick P wrote:
Adam to Eve: "Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets".

Thankyouverymuch

LOL!!! [biggrin] :-p [biggrin]

Could well be Mr P!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:21 pm 

richard wrote:
Avoid buying a U.S., book called How to Be A Working Comic - totally useless for the UK comic, unless you're planning to play venues like the Comedy Stop, Arizona .

Yeah, I've got this book, anyone want it? P&P costs.

..or a swap for something good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:27 pm 

Okse wrote:
richard wrote:

I will sell my copy of this for 1p + p&p (£2) if anyone wants it. I would give it away for free but that would pollaxe my karmic balance.

http://www.ceciliasmart.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:39 pm 

the book i learned most from for stand is hagakure,the book of the samurai.its hard to believe how much it helped me.you can get it from most waterstones for 8boys.change the word warrior to comedian,enemy to audience,its great.the part abou advising others is great and spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:28 pm 

"1,2,3 let's be funny..."

By BBC Education Press. (could be on it's 5th edition by now, not sure)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:53 pm 

The books that made me most want to be a comedian were 'Windows XP for Servers - Professionals Edition' and 'Exchange 2000 - MCSE edition'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:36 pm 

Hunter S Thompson "The Proud Highway". Not in any way related to stand up, but a comfort read for me nevertheless as the good Doctor's arrogance far outweighed his talent for the first ten years or so.

Also instructive for all those jobbing comics who live "a la Bodenheim" - the true, hand to mouth poverty that can only come with the utter confidence that the cheque will be in the mail any day now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:59 am 

polabear wrote:
Okse wrote:
richard wrote:

I will sell my copy of this for 1p + p&p (£2) if anyone wants it. I would give it away for free but that would pollaxe my karmic balance.

After managing to sell this book on Amazon, I have just had a flick though and its actually alot better than I remember it to be. Particulary with the writing tips.
I think the off-putting thing about it was the American anecdotes. I am even tempted not to sell it - and I never thought I would be saying that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:17 pm 

polabear wrote:
polabear wrote:
Okse wrote:
richard wrote:

After managing to sell this book on Amazon, I have just had a flick though and its actually alot better than I remember it to be. Particulary with the writing tips.
I think the off-putting thing about it was the American anecdotes. I am even tempted not to sell it - and I never thought I would be saying that.

Hmmmm... it was mainly the anecdotes that put me off this book- a bunch of Yank comics that no one's ever heard of over here (except Drew Carey and bloody Carrot Top) dispensing advice on things like how to perform on The Johnny Carson Show for the first time and other irrelevant stuff. The only bit of advice I remember being of any use was Drew Carey recommending trying to write 10 jokes a day - the idea being only one is likely to be any good, but if you do it every day, you eventually get a new 5 minutes of quality material evry month. Mind you -Drew Carey's never made me laugh.....

However, this book out next month may be worth a peek: Secrets To Stand Up Success

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:37 am 

richard wrote:
However, this book out next month may be worth a peek: Secrets To Stand Up Success

Thanks for the tip - I did a bit of a rummage around the internet and found a precis of it that made it sound promising.

The British Amazon don't offer much help obtaining this book, but the US Amazon is taking orders for it.

If you fancy it and prefer to use a different retailer the details are:

· Publisher: Emmis Books
· ISBN: 1578601606