It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 7:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 am 

On the disparity of pay issue...

There could be lots of reasons a promoter offers less money for what seems to be the same spot in the same venue.

1. Time of year or even month. The promoter can reasonably expect less tickets sales at certain dates and therefore budgets accordingly.

2.Maybe by offering £50 quid less they are giving an act they'd be unwilling to pay full whack to a chance to get some money or prove them wrong.

3.Or even bag themselves the same level act when everyone's diary is emptier thus making that acts diary full as opposed to pulling the gig and no-one making any money.

4. Certain acts fame, history, following or suitabilty really do add extra bums on seats whereas others look right on the poster and will end the night just as well but will not boost tickets sales the same a TV level act might.

5. the promoter has realised that they have poorly budgeted and the night does not make as much as originally projected but could still be a going concern. therefore the acts fees must be lowered or the gig pulled.

This is all economics and as long as promoter and act are upfront about whats on offer for what this is not a scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 am 

And on the other hand... if the promoter is asked by an act why they are being offered less money... that's a legitimate question and should probably be followed by one of the above answers rather than cancelling all the act's bookings. I've heard of this happening and this mafia tactic is shamefully closer to a scam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:12 pm 

mike taylor wrote:
Have the drugs finally kicked in Rob, how many posts do you need?

Chortle's fucked! It posted my reply about fifteen times so I edited to the smileys so as not to take up page after page with the same post. The delete button has disappeared too. Good to hear from you anyway Mike - thought you were dead!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm 

bobbyc wrote:
On the disparity of pay issue...

There could be lots of reasons a promoter offers less money for what seems to be the same spot in the same venue.

1. Time of year or even month. The promoter can reasonably expect less tickets sales at certain dates and therefore budgets accordingly.

Yeah I can see the point on that especially in August and as long as it's agreed in advance then i suppose it's fair enough but then by extension of logic acts should get paid more at Xmas etc.

bobbyc wrote:
2.Maybe by offering £50 quid less they are giving an act they'd be unwilling to pay full whack to a chance to get some money or prove them wrong.

Isn't that what opens and paid spots are for?

bobbyc wrote:
3.Or even bag themselves the same level act when everyone's diary is emptier thus making that acts diary full as opposed to pulling the gig and no-one making any money.

Sorry. I don't quite grasp the point you re making there.

bobbyc wrote:
4. Certain acts fame, history, following or suitabilty really do add extra bums on seats whereas others look right on the poster and will end the night just as well but will not boost tickets sales the same a TV level act might.

I agree but if an acts that much of draw then why not give them their own night on a door split?

bobbyc wrote:
. the promoter has realised that they have poorly budgeted and the night does not make as much as originally projected but could still be a going concern. therefore the acts fees must be lowered or the gig pulled.

Then that s the promoters fault and he's going to have stick his hand in his pocket. Business is like that.

bobbyc wrote:
This is all economics and as long as promoter and act are upfront about whats on offer for what this is not a scam.

Again I agree broadly but i know of people who have been on half as much money as another act to do the same double. Same rooms, same audience, same night half money. The acts were of roughly the same standard and neither were telly names. Once the shit hit the fan the practice was stopped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 pm 

Old Ham wrote:
bobbyc wrote:

I agree but if an acts that much of draw then why not give them their own night on a door split?

Maybe that act is only available for that one night because he's doing other gigs in that promoters area? I'm still alive and well thanks Rob, yes Chortle does seem to be having some multiple posting problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 pm 

isn't pay to play just practice for edinburgh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:26 am 

Old Ham wrote:
bobbyc wrote:
bobbyc wrote:
. the promoter has realised that they have poorly budgeted and the night does not make as much as originally projected but could still be a going concern. therefore the acts fees must be lowered or the gig pulled.

Then that s the promoters fault and he's going to have stick his hand in his pocket. Business is like that.

I would have thought business was about getting things for as cheap as you can... if people are offered money and they are willing to do the work for that money then job done.

In business you don't pay more for a product just because...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:26 am 

mike taylor wrote:
Old Ham wrote:
bobbyc wrote:

Maybe that act is only available for that one night because he's doing other gigs in that promoters area?

Then why pay more and piss off the rest of the acts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:27 am 

Bartleby wrote:
Old Ham wrote:
bobbyc wrote:
bobbyc wrote:

I would have thought business was about getting things for as cheap as you can... if people are offered money and they are willing to do the work for that money then job done.

In business you don't pay more for a product just because...

To some maybe and to others it s about quality first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:15 am 

It doesn't follow that you lose quality because you pay an act less
although top acts will work for £0 when they really need stage time quickly
the following things do happen

1) Because you're not paying them as much they put in less effort and dont treat
your gig, you or the audience with respect

2) There's not actually that many funny acts in your desired price range about
and you eventually exhaust them all

3) You spend so much time on the phone ringing round to try to get someone cheaper
that if time is money it would've been cheaper to simply spend some money

Business relies on goodwill - if you continually burn up goodwill you eventually run out.
You then find people start to want more to work for you than they would have done
if you'd offered them a fair price before.
You cant knock everyone forever
Eventually you just store up problems for the future

But that's not unethical any more than ebay
Overall the promoter gets what they pay for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:28 pm 

SOME PEOPLE DON'T LEARN FROM OTHERS MISTAKES....

....................................................................................................

Due to the demand, The Dead Comedian's Socks is now running an exclusive OPEN-MIC evening once per month.

This evening is for Comic's wishing to try out new material.

Touching Cloth is going to be a regular once a month event. But if the demand grows we will expand it to bi-monthly.

Here's how it works:

++ Entrance Fee: £2
++ Turn up before 7:30 and register. There are a maximum of 24 SPOTS. And it's first come, first served!
++ You must turn up with a least one guest. We need an audience!
++ Each spot is randomly chosen and you have 5 minutes to do your stuff.
++ The evening starts at 8pm and ends at 10:30pm. You must stay until the end.
++ For an additional £5, we will film your set and put it on youtube for you.

If you wish to book in advance for an spot, email me (frank.cassidy@gmail.com) with:

++ Your name.
++ Your guests name(s).
++ If you wish to be filmed.
++ And the date for the spot.

Advanced booked spots are listed below:

Advance booked spots (So far, and this is NOT an indication of running-order):

..............................................................................................

I maybe wrong but this great night wants 24 comics to pay to get in, bring a friend and then you HAVE to stay all night...

So £48 on the door an what ever bar split they have for the three hours people are there...

Brilliant

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?tab=3# ... 47&index=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 am 

Sounds a bargain, you pay to play and be the audience!! Fucking genius. i can't think of any other 'promoters' offering quite such a good deal.

Even if people are mad enough to take up this 'offer' what's to stop them from leaving straight after they've done? What are you losing apart from £2, your mind, any self respect, the respect of your peers, the plot.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 am 

Bartleby, you didn't quote the whole thing. There's an afterthought at the end: "If you are not a comedian, but just a fan of comedy. Please do come along..." They're even prepared to admit people who aren't acts or friends of acts. How could this night possibly fail with audience focus like that?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:25 am 

That line should be amended slightly: "If you were a fan of comedy, you won't be after enduring this."

Funhouse Comedy Clubs in Nottingham, Derby, Grantham, Lincoln, Burton, Ashby, Tamworth, Loughborough, Eastwood and Leicester. Best Midlands Club, Chortle 2006 and 2008 Awards http://www.funhousecomedy.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/funhouse_comedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 am 

But was a night ever more aptly named?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next