It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Facebook Comments
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:28 am 

The comments made via Facebook at the bottom of stories don't appear until you make a comment yourself. Which means you don't get to see any discussion until you've posted something.

This might not be a bad thing, but it seems that after a day or two they disappear again leaving it impossible to follow any discussion.

As an example on the piece about whether or not to abandon the star rating for chortle reviews. The last time I looked there were 17 comments. Today I can only see one.

Post subject: Re: Facebook Comments
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm 

I am also having this problem. Sometimes even see different comments at different computers. Thought I might be being censored but it is just Chortle being poo

You dont get what you deserve
You get what you negotiate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:59 pm 

So are the Facebook comments censored or just dont show because they're crap on a caprice or a combination ...anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:22 pm 

Having the same issue, comments seem to appear and disappear at random, not really sure what's going on but it's a bit rubbish. No stars.

Check out my jokes here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 pm 

Have you told Steve?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:13 am 

The other day while I was re-installing my operating system after replacing a failed hard drive I took some time out from reinstalling all my programs to call Danny Hurst a half truth mongerly Zionist shill for Israel and I think I've solved this one.

If you have logged into Facebook on your PC whether you remain logged in or not you can see Facebook comments. Whereas if you view the site via a "clean" PC you cant see the Facebook comments. But you can see comments not made in Facebook. I think there is some kind of Facebook cookie that doesn't install unless you've logged into Facebook because until you do this you haven't given it permission to install. When you've logged into Facebook once the cookie installs and then you can see facebook comments...?

Then, curious, I did a bit more research and I discovered that none of this is actually an accident - that without the cookie Facebook shows me something different to with it. Clearly an algorithum on Facebook has just decided that my opinions on the Gaza conflict are just too boring as they say things like "1967", "Golan", "settlement", "West Bank", "Fatah", "Syria", and "load of dogshit" and they have been automatically filtered out as too boring from the general conversation...

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/12/facebook-comments/

...but in order to stop me complaining when the Anthony Miller cookie is on my PC it pretends to other people that it is still publicising my boring opinions to the dis-interested world. Maybe Mark Zuckerberg is sulking because he's Jewish or maybe he's sulking because I only ever use his platform to put my ill informed opinions on chortle but either way this is clearly bollocks. Facebook comments are programmed to favour the comments that are most likely to bring traffic to the site OVER the inconvenience of stustaining digital conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:58 am 

It's rubbish, isn't it? I have a notification on facebook of a reply to one of my comments on Chortle, but when I click on it to visit the page on Chortle, it's not showing any comments at all, whichever browser I use and with or without cookies. Other pages still seem to have comments, so I've no idea whether these comments have been wiped out or whether Chortle/facebook is just being awkward about what it chooses to show me. Probably the latter, as facebook always thinks it knows best what I want to see or not.