It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Surreal Comedy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:05 pm 

How far back does it go - Does it work - is it art - is it funny -
There were Peaks: The Marx Brothers - The Three Stooges - in the UK There were the Goons in the 1950's but even before the goons we had Will Hay and Itma - Monty Pyhon, of course, co-existing with Spike Milligan and The Goodies, but it was Python that everyone loks to as the pioneers of Surreal comedy (or do they) - in the ten years after the Python tv series ended most of the UK surreal scene was trying to recapture the essence of python ie Not The Nine Oclock News - The Young Ones - but around this time the Alternative scene was emerging and surrealism was dying (or was it) - then, in the early nineties we had Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer - they were thre new pioneers of surrealism - gone were thouht of Python, then caame Harry Hill - and his brand of surrealism was intrinsically funny - there were punch lines to his jokes - these were in the forefront - surrealism eased off towards the mid nineties (or did it) and re-emerged a few short years ago with the New Pioneers: The Mighty Boosh - they combined concept surrealism with intrinsically funny surealism - and fast on their heels came Russel Brand, a throwback the the early Vic Reeves days - sometimes when I listen to him it's like listening to an exagerated Mr Reeves - what's funny with Russel Brand iare the images he conjours up and the way he performs (a lot of what he says isn't intrinsically funny)
Well - I've just come up with a few ideas for discussion - a basic guideline - I've picked on those who have made it into the mainstream with their surreal comedy.

I like surreal comedy and I'd like to hear what other people think - any theories, any ideas

Post subject: A reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:28 am 

Dave? That you, Dave?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:38 am 

Surrealist comedy, like most dramatic artforms, stretches back so far we can't really be sure any more.

Aristophanies was a great surrealist writer back in Anchient Greece, The Frogs, Clouds, and Euripides' Lysistrata has some surrealist elements too (for its time anyway).

so, it goes back at least 3,000 years :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm 

actually this may make a godd subject for a dissertation - how on earth could I have missed out The League Of Gentlemen.
Elements of surrealism.......I mentioned the marx brothers - Harpo was their surreal element - in the Will Hay team of Hay, Moffatt and Marriot, More Marriot was the surreal element (The Next Train's Gone) - who on the circuit is surreal? As I live in Wales so have to experience most stand up mainly from cable channels and BBC7 the one who stands out most to me is Andrew Lawrence - he is seriously surreal in performance and content ( an incredibly funny performer who I really admire)-
I suppose the danger with surrealism is that some performers will just be surreal for the sake of being surreal, that is, create images verbally which are strange but not funny - I have seen and heard this happen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:23 pm 

The Pythons are generally credited with bringing truly surreal comedy to the mainstream, but I imagine a few Goons fans might disagree with that.

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of Monty Python. I'd agree that some of their material is inspired, but a lot of it is pretty poor IMO. They kind of mixed surrealism, which was the good stuff, with just being a bit silly.

The parrott sketch is generally held up as an example of one of the all time great sketches, but I've never found it funny. I wouldn't describe it as surreal either.

I suppose that Monty Python can be considered as one of the pioneers of surreal comedy, but in my humble opinion, there are several acts that have done it better since then.

Post subject: Re: Surreal Comedy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 am 

Mostly I prefer to converse on forum because no of friends are available on there where you are given answer easily. http://www.vidwonders.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm 

Guu trimmings up remaining complete them, and she originates up through all these sidesplitting demeanors to annoyance Hare, because she adores messing through his skull.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:35 pm 

Hellzapoppin....

stage play and film from the early 1940's.....?